- The fertility window is that phase in a menstrual cycle during which sexual intercourse leads to pregnancy
- The most fertile period in the menstrual cycle is that which leads to ovulation
- The egg can survive for 24 hrs after ovulation occurs and sperm is able to survive for 2-3 days in the fallopian tubes
- You have a greater chance of conceiving if you time having intercourse 1 to 3 days before ovulation or every 2 days around ovulation
- The cervical mucus changes during the ovulation time it becomes more clear and slippery like egg white
Calculating the fertility window
It is done in a female having regular menstrual cycles. You are supposed to count the number of days from the first day of your last period to the first day of bleeding in your next one. Subtract 14 days from the end of your current cycle to determine the day you ovulate.
Ovulation Prediction Kit
These are designed to detect a hormone (luteinizing hormone or LH).Â A couple of days before ovulation, LH levels surge. An OPK will pick up this increase in LH and gives a positive result. Once there is a positive result, ovulation should occur in the next 12 to 36 hours.
Maintain a Fertility Chart
A fertility chart by measuring basal body temperature tells whether you have ovulated. ovulation. The drawback with a fertility chart is that you can’t see when ovulation occurred until a few days after you’ve ovulated. record your temperatures daily on a chart, you will see your temperatures shift about .4 degrees after you ovulate. If the shift is sustained for 3 days, you can assume that ovulation has occurred.